Re: What to do when you can't use screen captures in help

Subject: Re: What to do when you can't use screen captures in help
From: "Hyde, Barb # IHTUL" <Barb -dot- Hyde -at- TULSA -dot- CISTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 09:05:51 -0500

Michelle,
You can always provide a hotspot list to a separate topic for each control.
A compromise solution that I have seen is to place a thumbnail of the dialog
box at the top of the topic (to give the reader an orienting warm fuzzy)and
then either follow with definitions of all the controls or provide a hotspot
list to each control in a separate topic. I suppose you could speed download
time even further by creating a button or other hotspot and using it
consistently to pop up a thumbnail of the dialog box. Then only those users
who want to double-check need to wait for even the thumbnail to download.

Barbara Hyde
barb -dot- hyde -at- ndcorp -dot- com

>Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 15:49:19 -0400
>From: Michelle Vina-Baltsas
><Michelle_Vina-Baltsas -at- US -dot- CRAWCO -dot- COM>
>Subject: What to do when you can't use screen captures in
>help file?...
>
>I'm creating my first HTML help project and it's going to
>reside on a remote
>MetaFrame server. While testing the help file, I noticed
>that the screen
>captures were taking very long to paint. Even though we've
>always used
>hotspotted screen captures in our previous help files, I'm
>contemplating whether
>for not I should even include the images since the help file
>is not going to be
>local because they take too long to paint. I know that many
>help files don't
>use screen captures, but I have always thought they were
>very effective. What
>do you think? Opinions welcome.
>
>Thanks ahead of time for your responses,
>
>Michelle

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=