Recommended software for breaking into technical writing

Subject: Recommended software for breaking into technical writing
From: "Hyun Kul \\Sean\\ Kim" <ender63 -at- EROLS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 01:22:22 -0400

Forgive me if this topic has been posted before. (I did do an archive
search, but may not have used the appropriate search words.)

I'm a newspaper reporter considering a career switch into technical
writing. What software and/or programming languages do you recommend I
learn? And if you can prioritize them from "must know" to "highly
recommended," I would appreciate it.

I did ask this of a few tech writers, but would like the input of the
broader community considering the expense and time commitment of
acquiring/learning software. Thanks in advance.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=