Re: What to do when you can't use screen captures in help

Subject: Re: What to do when you can't use screen captures in help
From: Andrew Rollinson <arollinson -at- HIGHGROUND -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 07:21:50 -0400

Michelle wrote:
------------------------------------
While testing the help file, I noticed that the screen captures were taking
very long to paint.
------------------------------------
Have you thought about breaking the single image into several smaller
images, a la web page graphics? That would result in a faster download
time - of course you'd have to take steps to ensure that the composite image
doesn't collapse when the browser window is resized, for example a
fixed-width table.

------------------------------------
I know that many help files don't use screen captures, but I have always
thought they were very effective.
------------------------------------
Me too, they provide a helpful level of detail and serve to enrich the
visual presentation of the page; but perhaps this technical problem will
force you to seek new solutions, thereby widening your arsenal of
communication tools.

Also, I have been told by other writers that a screen capture in the online
help for a product with an interface provides duplicated graphical
information; something that, where possible, should be handled via tool
tips, etc. - comments from the list? - and that an interface element with a
name can be described in the help with text, like in a task description:
"...then, click the GO button to submit the query..."

hope this helps,
Andrew

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=