Re: User Documentation Preferences [WAS: Frame & WWP vs Word & boHelp]

Subject: Re: User Documentation Preferences [WAS: Frame & WWP vs Word & boHelp]
From: "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- ALLDATA -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 12:06:11 -0400

Whether it is true or not, which is usually immaterial in such discussions,
I think the commonly held management belief is that non-electronic
documentation is more expensive to produce and maintain than electronic
documentation.

Management also has as its constant example of what kind of documentation
one needs, the Microsoft example wherein they only provide online help with
their software packages.

I'm not sure how much facts contrary to those notions will receive a fair
hearing.

For my part, I think that there are types of information that reader/users
prefer to have online (how to, what is this type information) so that they
can readily access this information while using the system. I think users
prefer more conceptual information (overviews, process flows and
discussions, and such like) be in some kind of physical document that can be
read at the reader's leisure.

Tom Murrell
Senior Technical Writer, Alliance Data Systems, Inc.
CAD4A - (614)729-4364
Fax: (614)729-4499
mailto:tmurrell -at- alldata -dot- net

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=