Re: Work from home/security issues.

Subject: Re: Work from home/security issues.
From: Mark Dempsey <mxd2 -at- OSI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 09:08:19 -0700

Besides telling us company office-building delays often
prevent tech writer comfort, Melonie reminds us of some of
the real world constraints on companies in general. How many
of us have started work where it's taken the company two weeks
to set up the computer we're to use?

One contribution we tech writers can make to successfully
dealing with these constraints (other than telecommuting) is
letting our companies know that unless they build offices near
housing, every worker is a non-productive commute-in-the-making.
All the brouhaha about "Smart Growth" boils down to this. Unless
the slightly technical field of land-use planning does
something to cut commuting, we're going to have brown air
in more places than L.A. Dozens of Atlanta's federally-
funded freeway projects were recently shut down because they
would make the already horrible smog and congestion worse.

Those interested can look at
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Senate/1059/editorials.html for
more information.

Acting locally, thinking globally....