Re: Part-Time Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Part-Time Technical Writing
From: Susana Rosende <SRosende -at- THEFUND -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 15:01:52 -0400

After having my youngest child, I contracted part-time for a company (6
hours per day/4 days per week). It was supposed to be a six-week gig to fill
in for a writer on maternity leave, but they kept me on for two years. I
went full-time after my baby turned one.

Also, at my current company, a senior tech writer has been working mornings
from 7:30 to 11:30 since having her baby, who is almost two now. She and her
husband accepted the cut in income and benefits, but she has afternoons with
her child, lower daycare costs, and is accessible from home to answer
co-worker questions.

While still in college, a fellow student and I interned for a company that
initially wanted a full-time graduate student. We each worked part-time on
opposite schedules and kept in close communication to ensure we did the work
of one full time employee. It was a job-sharing arrangement that worked
great!

At a technical writing conference, I met a woman who had worked as the sole
tech writer in her company. When she left to have her twins, they kept her
on as a telecommuting tech writer. She goes to the office one morning each
week for staff meetings and to touch base with SMEs and the programmers, but
otherwise uses the phone and email to keep in touch. SHE makes the effort to
ensure constant communication.

If you've proved yourself at your company, and your budget allows for it,
you may be able to arrange a flexible, part-time, or job sharing schedule
not unlike the ones mentioned, until your kids are older.

Contracting also offers more flexibility. Some employers may consider a
one-or-two-day telecommute from home!

Also, some employers are more family-oriented and allow you to work from
home when kids are sick, or to leave work for a few hours to attend your
child's game or school play, as long as you make the time up on evenings and
weekends.

Some corporate cultures don't have the sweat shop, 12-hour day mentalities
-- except during crunch time, of course!

(ô¿ô)

As a single Mom of two kids, I can empathize! Good luck!

--Susana Rosende