Marketing block

Subject: Marketing block
From: Christine Pellar-Kosbar <chrispk -at- MERIT -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 15:09:26 -0400

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon: on web pages, and now even on
signs,
I find myself disregarding anything too flashy as an "ad." I don't even
read
it. Sometimes it turns out to be important information.

Today I was in a body shop where a huge, three-color, professionally
developed
sign said: "Customer's please do not follow employees into this room. For
liability reasons, please stay in the waiting area." Because it was so very
well designed, I completely missed it (and followed the mechanic into the
room). The mechanic politely asked me to wait in the waiting area. While
waiting, I happened to read the sign as I read everything else on the walls.
Only then did I realize my mistake.

On web pages too, I've noticed that I ignore everything but the little text
in
the middle. Occasionally, the flashy side items turn out to be useful
information. But, unless someone sitting next to me points that out, I
don't
notice them.

Do others do this? Are we desensitizing people with flashy marketing
materials? Or am I just getting old?

Christine Pellar-Kosbar

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=