Re: *electronic* Portfolios and writing samples...

Subject: Re: *electronic* Portfolios and writing samples...
From: temoore -at- BELLSOUTH -dot- NET
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 14:20:38 -0400

I have such a web site. What I did was ask the clients/former employers
for their permission to post them on my web site.

When I asked for their permission I told them I would alter the document
in any way they wanted. In my case, the some of the clients/former
employers wanted their names and logos removed and all occurences of the
product name/logo and their client's name. It sounds like a lot, but the
documentation still shows what I'm capable of. In one case, the client
was perfectly happy with me substituting a fake logo.

I plan to disable the print function on the pdfs in the near future
because I decided I don't want anyone to be able to print them. This
wasn't requested by my clients, but I'm sure they'll like that.

I would advise against just posting your samples on your web site. I
don't see what the big deal is with asking for permission to use samples
of your work. I have yet to have a client not agree. One client didn't
want me to post the work to my web site. C'est la vie. I was, however,
allowed to include it in my physical portfolio.

And what's the big deal with telling an interviewer "I'm sorry, but I
can't allow you to make copies. I'm committed to protecting the
confidentiality of my former employer, as I would any former employer. I
hope you understand."? Am I missing something here?

--
Tracey Moore

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=