Re: *electronic* Portfolios and writing samples...

Subject: Re: *electronic* Portfolios and writing samples...
From: "Higgins, Lisa" <LHiggins -at- CARRIERACCESS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 12:22:47 -0600

> The lack of control in having samples hanging out on the web
> for download,
> aside from the website itself, of course, would make me
> nervous.

You could just try to keep your samples small enough that they won't do
anyone any real good out of context.

> (Obviously, this won't
> keep real hackers out, but who cares.)

I started to laugh at the absurdity of hackers breaking into tech writers'
websites to steal their work samples, but then I remembered that I think the
first time Kevin Mitnick went to jail was for stealing some really stupid
procedural manual that they valued at SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS. (And yes, it
was stupid. I read it. STUPID STUPID STUPID.)

I figure we should be able to take it to court and value our work at
eleventy-bajillion dollars a page when a someone steals from us. When some
big company gets hacked, they don't dispute that our work is just impossibly
precious.

Lisa.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=