Re: Interviews and Portfolios

Subject: Re: Interviews and Portfolios
From: Barry Kieffer <barry -dot- kieffer -at- EXGATE -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 08:40:43 -0700

I once worked for a company (a sweat shop) that had a mechanical problem
with a piece of equipment that they could not solve in-house. Did they hire
a consultant? NO! This is what the did:

They placed an ad in the paper advertising for a senior mechanical engineer.

Everyone who responded to the ad jot an interview. When they interviewed the
candidates, they poised the problem to them and said: "This is a simple
problem, how would you solve it?"

A few of these poor engineers actually went home, spent long hours working
on the problem, and then submitted drawings in a misguided hope that their
solution would land them the high paying job that was advertised.

The company tried all of the solutions and then used the one that worked the
best, and blew off all of the candidates, telling them there were not
qualified.

And for that reason alone, my friends, is why you NEVER allow a company to
hold onto, or photocopy your portfolio.

You never know, and you never can tell...

Barry - No longer at that sweat shop.

Eric thoughtfully wrote:
> An employer is certainly within her rights to demand a portfolio.
> She is not, however, within her rights to ask the candidate if she can
> photocopy the samples.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=