Re: Jobs!!! - Congratulations Kathy Nguyen!

Subject: Re: Jobs!!! - Congratulations Kathy Nguyen!
From: Barry Kieffer <barry -dot- kieffer -at- EXGATE -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 08:59:14 -0700

Congratulations Kathy!

You are proof that hard work and attention to detail pays off.

Interning, and building a strong foundation, is what made you a good
technical writer today.

I hope that as you move up the ranks, and someday have hiring authority, you
never forget your past and hire interns.

Just as somebody saw the potential in you, it will be up to you to see the
same in somebody else.

Again, congratulations Kathy.

Regards,

Barry Kieffer
Senior Technical Writer
Tektronix, Inc.
* Phone: 503.627.4079
* Email: barry -dot- kieffer -at- tek -dot- com

Kathy proudly wrote:
> I am living proof that YOU CAN have no experience and get a techwriting
> job! You just have to know where to research and be willing to do the
> time.
>
> I applied for an internship with a large company and began working my last
> quarter in college (English major). I secured the job by letting the
> Documentation manager know that Tech writing was something I was serious
> about, and I intended to stay an intern until I had learned what I needed
> to know. I assured her, that I wasn't about to desert the company as soon
> as I graduated. I think she liked that I was very bluntly honest because
> the writing sample I turned in was far from technical. It was a paper on
> Native American Lit.
>
> I worked that internship for almost a year. While all of my friends were
> finding jobs with benefits and more pay, I sacrificed the time and learned
> as much as I could. I knew it would be worth it in the end, and 11/2 years
> later, I can say it has been worth it. I like my job more and get paid
> more
> than many of the computer science majors that graduated with me.
>
> All I can say is check the large companies! Many of them have internship
> programs and a couple of them (I've heard that Unisys is one of them) hire
> people with no experience so that they can take a pre-junior and make
> him/her into a senior.
>
> I would go to all the large company websites and just start checking for
> job openings.
>
> I hope this helps!
> --Kathy

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=