What constitutes a senior tech writer and how to get there?

Subject: What constitutes a senior tech writer and how to get there?
From: Tommy Green <tgreen -at- AESBUS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:41:05 -0500

Now this is an interesting post. I too have wondered about what constitutes
a Senior Writer, and I am one. Did I get here because I have more experience
(overall) in the writing profession? or is it because I'm older than
everyone else?
In my case, I am very confident and capable with Word, PageMaker, RoboHelp,
and online documents but I have never used FrameMaker, Visio, Javahelp, or
several other platforms. Am I not really a Senior Writer because I don't
know these programs? I think it once again falls down to whatever your
company decides. Some have certain criteria like Tech Wrtier I, II, III, and
Tech Writer of the Universe, but others don't. It seems to be all subjective
and based on your confidence and ability to do the job. I'm interested to
hear other opinions.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
sure about the former." --Albert
Einstein

Tommy D. Green
Senior Technical Writer