Re: What constitutes a senior tech writer and how to get there?

Subject: Re: What constitutes a senior tech writer and how to get there?
From: Sarah O'Keefe <okeefe -at- SCRIPTORIUM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 12:52:51 -0400

In my opinion, a senior technical writer is an individual who can plan and
execute a writing project without outside assistance. That is, the writer
can:

* estimate the scope of the project and the resources required
* implement the project and keep it on track
* write the content
* design basic templates and use tools as appropriate
* deliver

Implicit in this is that the writer needs the following skills:

* planning, estimating
* writing (duh)
* a solid understanding of the technology (or whatever) being documented
* a solid understanding of the tools that are being used to create the
documentation
* knowledge about how to present content (what goes online, what goes in print)

Some writers are more focused on the technology side (can document
programming guides and know *everything* about a certain subject). Other
writers are more focused on the planning side. But to me, a senior writer
is one who has the skills and experience to work without a whole lot of
supervision or support. (I'm not suggesting that all senior writers MUST
work this way, just that they are capable of doing so.)

Judging from Anon's message, Anon's, er, friend does not meet this
definition. However, Anon's management hasn't done much to get Anon's
Little Friend (Alf) to that point. Alf needs to ask for more responsibility
and more challenging work. Alf needs to look over the shoulder of the
senior writers and learn from them. And if I were Alf, I'd look for a new
job where more mentoring and better supervision are available.

Flame away.....

Sarah

Sarah O'Keefe Scriptorium Publishing Services, Inc.
Author, FrameMaker for Dummies (available 8/99) 919-481-2701
WebWorks Publisher certified trainer okeefe -at- scriptorium -dot- com
http://www.scriptorium.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=