Re: What constitutes a senior tech writer and how to get there?

Subject: Re: What constitutes a senior tech writer and how to get there?
From: Kevin McGowan <mcgowan -at- LORAN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 12:23:35 -0400

Let the games begin.

If a writer has been on a project(s) for over three years, and still has not
developed the necessary skills to do the job, I would say the writer is not
qualified to be a senior.

Yes, experience in the best teacher. The fact is this: if this person has
sat in a chair doing almost nothing for two years, and then only some actual
work for one year, this person is pretty darn lazy. too lazy to take the
opportunity to come up with projects on his/her own, too lazy to say "this
sucks, I'm getting another job." If you're not growing in a particular job,
it's time to find a new one.

While the manager has responsibility to train and mentor a junior writer,
the real world dictates that most managers have too much to do. It is up to
the writer to do this on his/her own, through research, associations (STC)
and a little effort.

This person might find themselves with a layoff notice, and be stuck with no
skills and no prospects.

Imagine this interview:
"So, Mr/Ms X, what were your responsibilities at your last technical writing
job?"

"Well, they never gave me anything to do, so I sat there for three years
surfing the internet."

"Uh-huh. We'll be in touch."

Just my two cents on a Friday.

-Kevin