Concordance Tools, Simplified English, etc.

Subject: Concordance Tools, Simplified English, etc.
From: Jill Clay <JILL_CLAY -at- NON-HP-PALOALTO-OM8 -dot- OM -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 15:03:31 -0700

Hello -

My writing group is searching for a concordance tool and/or
"controlled English" or "controlled language" tool. Purpose:
We want to build a dictionary of our common terms, choose among terms
we use to mean the same thing, identify "problem areas" - in short,
develop documentation that adheres to "Simplified English"-type rules,
and make the doc easy to use and translate.

For those who don't know: A concordance tool, as I understand it, is
software you can run on a document or set of docs (you can specify
various parameters) and it will return, for example, a list of the
frequency of certain terms you used. For example: "end user" found 368
times, "user" (no "end") found 455 times. This is a bad example of
mulitple terms used to mean same thing, but right now I can't think of
any - sorry!

Does anyone know of a good concordance tool I can use on software
docs? I have come across Asset and ClearCheck - Asset only works on
SGML format, and ClearCheck will accept SGML or Word, but has no
downloadable demo.

Also, I evaluted the AECMA Simplfied English manual and dictionary,
and I read all through the TECHWR-L archives on this subject. I am
surprised that no one mentioned its LACK of applicability to software.
The manual itself is horribly written, and some of its rules would
force you to use passive voice or become wordier. Also, it applies to
*the aerospace industry*, which is VERY different from the software
industry - especially in terms of "end users" - we have military-types
versus the masses out there who use any kind of software.

For example, SE has a real problem with the use of verbs. I say, if a
word like "Test" is at the beginning of a sentence, *it's probably a
verb!* SE forbids the use of Test as a verb. INstead of "Test [the
software]," it recommends "Perform a test on ..." It drives me crazy
and I cannot believe anyone out there is recommending it!

Sorry. WIll get off my soapbox now. BTW, I have been charged with
finding a tool that will tie in with SE, so if I am forced to use it
(with our in-house modifications, I assume) then I will.

Thanks,
Jill

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=