Re: Concordance Tools, Simplified English, etc.

Subject: Re: Concordance Tools, Simplified English, etc.
From: Michele Marques <mmarques -at- CMS400 -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 09:56:30 -0400

Jill -

Actually, I attended a workshop that dealt with this topic at the
recent TechComm '99 by Dr. Edmond Weiss! I believe that he has
a book out on the topic.

One of the set of rules for "simplified English" is not to use words
that have multiple meanings. The word "test" can be a noun, verb
or adjective. When it starts a sentence, you could mean "perform a
test" or you could mean it as an adjective (e.g. "test data" or "test
subjects"). As in both cases, you will be using the structure
TEST+NOUN, this could be confusing for those reading English as
a second language. "Perform the test" does not have the same
ambiguity.

From the samples that I saw, Simplified English is not necessarily
as concise as tech. writing that I (and perhaps you) would write. It
also tends to use latinate words to replace other English words
that have multiple meanings (e.g., to replace "set").

Note that in my above message, I am combining what I gained from
the workshop with my studies in Linguistics and in Natural
Language Processing (computers face these same problems).

- Michele

Date sent: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 15:03:31 -0700
From: Jill Clay <JILL_CLAY -at- NON-HP-PALOALTO-OM8 -dot- OM -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Subject: Concordance Tools, Simplified English, etc.

> Hello -
>
> My writing group is searching for a concordance tool and/or
> "controlled English" or "controlled language" tool. Purpose:
> We want to build a dictionary of our common terms, choose among terms
> we use to mean the same thing, identify "problem areas" - in short,
> develop documentation that adheres to "Simplified English"-type rules,
> and make the doc easy to use and translate.

[--- deleted portion ---]

> Also, I evaluted the AECMA Simplfied English manual and dictionary,
> and I read all through the TECHWR-L archives on this subject. I am
> surprised that no one mentioned its LACK of applicability to software.
> The manual itself is horribly written, and some of its rules would
> force you to use passive voice or become wordier. Also, it applies to
> *the aerospace industry*, which is VERY different from the software
> industry - especially in terms of "end users" - we have military-types
> versus the masses out there who use any kind of software.
>
> For example, SE has a real problem with the use of verbs. I say, if a
> word like "Test" is at the beginning of a sentence, *it's probably a
> verb!* SE forbids the use of Test as a verb. INstead of "Test [the
> software]," it recommends "Perform a test on ..." It drives me crazy
> and I cannot believe anyone out there is recommending it!
>
> Sorry. WIll get off my soapbox now. BTW, I have been charged with
> finding a tool that will tie in with SE, so if I am forced to use it
> (with our in-house modifications, I assume) then I will.
>
> Thanks,
> Jill

Michele Marques
Technical Writer, CMS Manufacturing Systems
mmarques -at- cms400 -dot- com
905-477-4499 x280

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=