Re: Face time at the office (WAS: The Telecommuting myth continue s)

Subject: Re: Face time at the office (WAS: The Telecommuting myth continue s)
From: Melonie Holliman <melonie -dot- holliman -at- TXEXMTA4 -dot- AMD -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 09:10:57 -0500

Howdy,

First let me say that there are some people who get their
jollies out of working. This post is not for you. If you enjoy
working long hours, the more power to you. If you get
irritated that you are expected to work long hours every
week, then read on.

This is one of my pet peeves. I worked 60-80 hours a week
when I first got out of college and thought work would fill that
inner need. Hooey! To me, work is just about one of the
shallowest ways to find fulfillment. It is wonderful to have a
passion for my job, to care about what I do, but I like having
a real life as well. I do get warm fuzzies from a job well done.
I like having a job I care about. However, my work is my living,
it is not my life.

There was a saying I heard awhile back: "On your death bed,
would you wish you spent more time with the company
comptroller?" Let's change it to: "On your death bed, will you
wish you spent more time writing that manual?"

Every place I have ever worked which required long hours was
a sweat shop with very little respect for employees or their lives.
They used people up and tossed them aside regularly. And my
work STANK. Today, I make it clear in every interview that I
will work overtime when we are in a crunch or if it is needed; but
I will not make it a habit. I have a real life. I have also found that
I can do the same amount of work in 40 hours that I used to do
in 60 because I waste less time when I give myself less time.

Every time I have been turned down for a job because I would
not work regular overtime, I have found out later on that the work
place was horrid. I keep finding good jobs where I am appreciated
and paid well even though I don't work extra hours.

If you like the long hours, go for it. If you don't, there are better
jobs out there which pay the same without abusing your time.

Melonie R. Holliman
Technical Writer
CPD Marketing
Advanced Micro Devices