Re: Face time at the office (WAS: The Telecommuting myth continue s)

Subject: Re: Face time at the office (WAS: The Telecommuting myth continue s)
From: Donald Le Vie <dlevie -at- VLINE -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 09:21:17 -0500

In a previous incarnation, I was information development project leader for
a major digital communications/microprocessor mfg. co. here in Austin. For
the last 2 years of my tenure there, I worked 60 hours a week just to stay 3
weeks behind posted schedules. I saw my ID team slowly erode as people left
for greener pastures because, primarily, of the little respect for and
attention to the value-add the team provided to microprocessor documentation
(in all forms and formats). My team of 7 was whittled down to 2...myself and
one other person, who transferred over from technical marketing because she
"wanted to do something different." My manager (an engineer with the title
"Marketing and Technical Communications Manager") thought that, heck,
anybody can write documentation and Donn needs help... Short version:
instead of filling the replacement requisitions with technical writers, the
company replaced the TW reqs with reqs for applications engineers who were
going to be developing the documentation. Shortly thereafter, the company
announced upcoming layoffs...I volunteered to be laid off and the day I got
my walking papers was the day I received a special corporate achievement
award (one of 10 awarded globally)...way too little way too late.

Donn Le Vie
Integrated Concepts

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=