Re: The telecommuting myth

Subject: Re: The telecommuting myth
From: Melonie Holliman <melonie -dot- holliman -at- TXEXMTA4 -dot- AMD -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 10:19:28 -0500

Howdy,

There are two types of people: introverts and extroverts. Introverts
"recharge
their batteries" when they are alone; extroverts get their recharge from
other
people.

In my experience, introverts are GREAT telecommuters. They are perfectly
happy sitting at home, seldom talking to a soul, just cranking out work.
They can be good team members, but don't get their "charge" from it. An
introvert can go long periods of time without talking with other people and
be very happy about it.

Extroverts, on the other hand, need to be around people. I am an extrovert
and tried telecommuting. I found myself getting more and more depressed.
I need that daily interaction with other people. In fact, when I am the only
one in my department here, I still get that feeling of incomplete
restlessness.
When I come out of a good meeting where lots of team work was going on
I'm pumped! I love that human interaction.

Today, I would not choose a job where I did not have DAILY interaction with
other people because I know what fuels me. However, I do not believe that
is the right choice for everyone.

Melonie R. Holliman
Technical Writer
CPD Marketing