Re: The telecommuting myth

Subject: Re: The telecommuting myth
From: Paul Strasser <paul -dot- strasser -at- WINDSOR-TECH -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 09:03:10 -0500

I've experienced both telecommuting and on-site. Both were preferred for
the specific requirements of the tasks at hand.

The telecommuting was for software packages that were essentially complete.
They wanted me to learn a new HAT (switching from D2H to RH) and gave me
both the time to learn the tool and write the help. I needed almost no
input from the programmers; when input was needed an email or two took care
of it. I wanted them to leave me alone. They did. We both profited.

More recently I worked in office (with only one or two days per month at
home). These projects are from the initial planning stages through software
delivery. For me it's critical to be at site, since the user interface
seems to change daily. The feedback - in both directions - between myself
and the programmers is both illuminating and necessary.

I personally have no problem working on site, provided that it actually
helps me in my work.

Paul S.
Louisville, CO