Re: raises

Subject: Re: raises
From: Paul Strasser <paul -dot- strasser -at- WINDSOR-TECH -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 09:48:46 -0500

A problem with raises is that you are always butting up against the culture
and protocols of that specific company. If documentation is considered an
"expense" within a company it's going to be hard to gather impressive data
to show how you deserve a grand raise. All you'll be doing is showing the
HR department how you want to increase expenses.

If your company has a policy of a limit of X% raise per year, then you're
gonna have to change the policy to get a better raise. Fat chance. Many
people also hit their heads on the rather arbitrary salary ceilings for
various categories of employment that some companies establish. Frequently,
the only raises that you'll get when you max out your salary are COL
increases.

In many cases the way of getting the largest salary increase is to jump
ship -- find another company willing to pay you better. Of course, you'll
inherit whatever salary protocols used by that new company.

Paul Strasser
Louisville, CO

>Not sure what Eric's take is on this, but IMHO, the occasional pulse-check
>on raises/earnings seems a valid topic. I would guess that every tech
writer
>is interested in compensation.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=