Re: The Telecommuting myth

Subject: Re: The Telecommuting myth
From: "Caroline Briggs (Pachaud) (Exchange)" <carolinp -at- EXCHANGE -dot- MICROSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 14:03:34 -0700

I, too, have been reading this very interesting thread, and thinking about
how it maps to my corporate environment. My company encourages employees to
work at home at least occasionally, and provides RAS accessibility and home
machines as well. I take advantage of it sometimes, but find that I'm really
most productive at the office. The real reason I'm writing is that I have
had some experiences with contractors who have routinely billed me for
unproductive time spent working at home. I'm not saying that I think there
has been malfeasance or fraud; I'd handle that in a very different way. I'm
just saying that I have a much better sense of productivity when I see
someone in the office 35 hours a week or so. Maybe I'm not a very good
manager, and should be able to manage someone remotely more effectively, but
putting it quite bluntly, I think that that it's really easy to take
advantage of your employer if you're not actually on the premises. Please
flame politely.

Caroline

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=