Re: Desperately seeking employment (and why)

Subject: Re: Desperately seeking employment (and why)
From: "Caroline Briggs (Pachaud) (Exchange)" <carolinp -at- EXCHANGE -dot- MICROSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 17:03:37 -0700

oo, watching this one is going to be fun.

I'm ABD in English Lit. One of my titles is Lead Technical Editor. The other
is Documentation Lead. The fact that I have two titles and two jobs right
now is partly due to the fact that I AM ONE OF THE MOST TECHNICAL PEOPLE ON
THIS TEAM. I'm also a damn fine editor. To be perfectly truthful, I want to
hire people like me. I want the best, the brightest, the most thoughtful
writers I can find. I want them to have technical facility and an abundance
of curiosity, but mostly I want them to be COMMUNICATORS. Too frequently,
when someone tells me they're really technical, what they're really saying
is that they get widgets but not words. Sorry, that's not good enough. I
spend too much time addressing fundamental writing issues with folks who are
convinced that their technical expertise absolves them of any need to
actually put one thought in front of the other in any kind of coherent
order. May I respectfully suggest that it doesn't matter what you know or
don't know if you don't have a clue as to how to tell me what you know? Or
why I should care?

End of rant, but not, I'm sure, of thread.

Caroline