Re: Basic Tech Writing Rule Book

Subject: Re: Basic Tech Writing Rule Book
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- HOME -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 09:15:22 -0400

Mary good writing is good writing. While technical writing has its own
vocabulary, its purpose is no different from any other writing. To
communicate thoughts to others. I have always felt that if a person did
not understand me, it was because I have not adequately communicated my
thoughts. While technical writing has unique problems in that the
intended readers constitute a broad spectrum of users and there are
conventions that apply, the basic rules of good grammar still act as an
aide to effective communication.

Mary Deaton wrote:

> As I recall, Strunk and White advocate active voice and present tense. Good
> writing is good writing. What kind of technical writing are you doing? If
> you are focused on computer documentation you might need a different set of
> "rules" than if you are doing medical writing. Check with your local
> university, or at a textbook site such as VarsityBooks.com and see what the
> profs are using in the introductory classes.
>
> Mary Deaton
> President, KNOWware, LLC
> (206) 682-6113
> * Smart User Assistance and Training http://www.kware.com
> * Microsoft MVP for HTML Help
> * Program Associate, Winwriters 2000 Online Conference
> http://www.winwriters.com/ohc.htm
> * Speaker, Help Technology Conference,
> http://www.winwriters.com/htc99.htm
>
> -