Usage of "mapping"

Subject: Usage of "mapping"
From: Kato <Nana -at- TENRYUTECHNICS -dot- CO -dot- JP>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 16:04:11 +0900

Hello to you all,

Would someone please let me know in what situation "map" (verb)
is used?

The The Adobe PDFMaker's manual states:
>The Heading-to-Bookmark options group allows you to control how
>Word heading styles are mapped to PDF bookmarks.

I often see "map" used in software documentations. I'm not
sure about this usage but my hunch is that "map" is used to mean
"apply" or "assign" in a technical context. (An ordinary English dictionary
defines "map" only to mean 1. make a map, 2. make something well-known.
From this I thought this usage is rather technical-specific.)

I looked in my computer terms dictionary and "mapping" is defined as such:
>The process of converting data encoded in one format or device to
>another format or device.

As stated above, "map" seems to mean applying something to an appropriate
position by means of a particular algorithm. Is my understanding correct?
Please let me know off-list, since this topic seems no interest to other
subscribers.

Many thanks in advance,

Nana Kato
Workplace:
nana -at- tenryutechnics -dot- co -dot- jp
Home:
nanakato -at- ma4 -dot- justnet -dot- ne -dot- jp

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=