Re: Usage of "mapping"

Subject: Re: Usage of "mapping"
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- SIMPLYWRITTEN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 08:13:09 -0500

Actually, I think a lot of newcomers (and they're common in our business)
can benefit from this concept.

>Would someone please let me know in what situation "map" (verb)
>is used?

In most cases, "map" means to assign an object or element from one format or
situation, to be equivalent to an object or element in another format or
situation.

For example, automatic filters for HTML may take files from Word or
FrameMaker or even raw files like RTF, and map each style tag from the
original to a particular HTML tag. The ubiquitious "Heading 1" in Word might
have to be mapped to "<H1>", for instance. There really isn't much of an
algorithm at work. More like a lookup table.

This concept is extended into many areas where it's murkier. For example,
business processes are often said to be "mapped" to business process
software. Here you may need a true algorithm to do the mapping.

There there are even less precise concepts: Information Mapping, Mind
Mapping, and the rest. It spirals from there into the purely abstract and
academic.

Tim Altom
Simply Written, Inc.
Featuring FrameMaker and the Clustar Method(TM)
"Better communication is a service to mankind."
317.562.9298
http://www.simplywritten.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=