"via the Internet" summary

Subject: "via the Internet" summary
From: "Kelly, Ellen S." <Ellen -dot- S -dot- Kelly -at- BENDER -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 09:45:23 -0400

Hello:

Thanks to all who responded to my question about using "via the Internet" -
all responses are listed below. For those who don't want to read the list,
"using" seems to be the majority vote -

"Updating XXX Using the Internet" OR "Using the Internet to Update XXX"

Thanks again for all the great responses!

__________________

I know via is fine (as explained by Rod S) but you may also be reluctant to
use a Latin word... what about "over the internet" which still implies
using the internet as the mechanism.

____________________

you should try "UPDATING THROUGH THE INTERNET"

_____________________

I would have no problem if the title was something like "Going to
Minneapolis via Chicago," but in this case I think you are getting mixed up
with your metaphor. The Information Superhighway is a metaphor. The use of
via buys into that. You are on the verge of attributing a human capability
to an inhuman thing, if you aren't there already.

So I like:

* Updating xxx over the Internet
* Using the Internet to Update xxx
* Updating xxx [keep "the Internet" out of the headline but introduce it
forcefully in the opening paragraph]

_______________________

If the objection to the use of VIA is on the grounds that the audience won't
know what the word means, then I agree that it should not be used. But the
idea that it should not be used because it implies purely geographical
translation doesn't hold much water, whereas a VIAduct holds lots of water.

The Internet is a channel of communication, known belovedly by politicians
as the Information Superhighway. More than that, it is actually a bunch of
physical pipes down which data moves, just as traffic moves down a street.
Many things can be said to go VIA the Internet, including for example, an
e-mail message going convolutedly VIA a number of geographically and
electronically distant locations is just as linguistically valid, it seems
to me, as going VIA Singapore when flying from London to Sydney; not to
mention strolling down the VIA Dolorosa.
______________________

We just had this discussion here, although it had to do with a software
feature. We went with "using."

______________________

Updating XXX Using the Internet

or, better,

Using the Internet to Update XXX

_________________________

I would say "Updating XXX using the Internet."

I hate using via, or i.e. or e.g. or other Latin phrases or abbreviations.
It
may take a couple of extra words, but IMNSHO you can't go wrong with just
plain
English.
_________________________

Interesting that this should come up now. Just two days ago, the same
thing came up here (in fact, those of you who subscribe to COPYEDITING-L
probably recognize the thread :-). The consensus from the COPYEDITING-L
list (they're even more...uh...opinionated about wording than we at
not the choice. Other choices seem to vary according to region.
Europeans have no problem with "by the Internet," (this is what the
person we're reviewing had used), while most Americans opt for "over"
the Internet. (I think I'm remembering the "consensus" right...anyone on
CE-L who remembers differently, please feel free to correct me.)
_________________________

Sounds like either form would be acceptable, however I like the word
"via" a little better. However, why not just say:

"Using the internet to update XXX"
"How to use the internet to update XXX"

_________________________

"Using the internet to update XXX"
"How to use the internet to update XXX"
_________________________

how about "Updating XXX using the Internet"?
_________________________

What about Using the Internet (feature) to update XXX
__________________________

...from the Internet
___________________________

According to the 1998 Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical
Publications, "VIA implies a geographic context. Avoid using VIA as a
synonym for BY, THROUGH, or BY MEANS OF. Use the most specific term
instead."

The book "Handbook of Technical Writing" says that the term "via" should be
used
only in routing instructions.
What about using through.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=