Single Sourcing

Subject: Single Sourcing
From: Matthew Nankin <Matthew_Nankin -at- PSDI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 15:55:31 -0400

Our documentation department is currently exploring the concept of Single
Sourcing (writing information once and using it in a variety of outputs),
particularly the 10-step process described by Ann Rockley and JoAnn Hackos at
the recent STC Conference and described in their paper, "Designing Single Source
Materials".

We are currently reviewing the initial steps involved in Single Sourcing,
specifically the Information Audit containing an analysis of Information,
Audience, and Process. Is there anyone who is familiar with the practical
application of Single Sourcing and willing to share some of their experience in
planning out the single sourcing of an extensive set of legacy documentation in
multiple formats. Particular areas of interest include the following:

individuals and their companies who have gone through the 10-step process (or
a variation thereof)
specific information on the benefits of single sourcing. For example, saving
money, maximizing resources, etc. and specific quantitative savings and
benefits that we can expect from single sourcing.
ideas for examples we could put together in the intial planning stages to
better estimate the time and labor involved at the outset and the potential
payoff later on.

Thank you for your anticipated assistance.

Matt Nankin
Matthew_Nankin -at- psdi -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=