Single Sourcing

Subject: Single Sourcing
From: Xiang Li <xli -at- FEDERALAPD -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 09:17:21 -0400

Hi, Fellow Technical Writers:

I have brought this topic to this list twice before. I would like to
continue to talk about it because I recently have gone through the process
of single sourcing. I produced a software manual from the online help for
the same software using Robohelp. This process is not quick and Robohelp
did not generate some of the graphics from the source file. I also had to
set up the manual in the way a manual should look like. However, the final
result pleases me and people in the company because it looks much better
than the one produced by FrameMaker. I found this method is durable because
I do not have to use two different software progams to work on help and
manual. The problems I ran across are indexing, graphics will not convert,
formatting, and numbering. I fixed the previous three, however, numbering
is a consistent problem, I have to be very careful when I print. I also
sent email for the solution to this problem, nobody could fix it.

Xiang Li

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=