Re: Tilt the balance in your favor ... Re: thanks yous and interviews from hell

Subject: Re: Tilt the balance in your favor ... Re: thanks yous and interviews from hell
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 12:53:24 -0700

Hi, Mary...

Maybe I need to make myself a little clearer on why
I'm taking the stance that I am.

Believe it or not, I actually have stationery
specificly for the purpose of sending a thank you note
and I have done so in the past when it was warranted.

However, I don't consider the average interview to
fall in this category. (WHAT?? What an idiot!!)

Yeah, maybe (and it might still be true if I sent
thanyou notes in bulk by the pound). However, and
maybe this is colored by being a contractor. As a
contractor, I am a commodity. I come in and I have a
job to do as opposed to coming in as a member of the
corporate team. Usually, the interview reflects that
approach. Rarely is there any introduction to the
department staff and the rest of the warm-and-fuzzy
stuff. Sometimes, I almost get the impression that
they'd rather I not leave through the front door (just
kidding...kinda).

Now, should I come in for an interview and the company
immediately make an effort to make me feel all kinds
of warm and wanted, then yes, I will send that note,
but not to thank them for the interview but to thank
them for the effort they put in to make me feel at
home. The interview is their job and they need me as
much as I need them..we are equals.

When was the last time you interviewed and got a
thanyou note from the company that wasn't part of a
rejection letter?.

If the effort is above and beyond, it deserves the
note.

Have I not been hired because I didn't send the note?
No. How do I know this? Of the last 10-12 interviews
over the last 5 years, I've only twice (that I can
remember) NOT been offered the position (I may not
have taken it, but it was offered) and of the two, I
knew before I left that I wasn't getting the offer.

> Generally, I agree with your posts, but not in this
> case.
> Most of the managers I interviewed with weren't too
> sure who they wanted for the position.
>
> Thank you notes often had the effect of keeping the
> applicant's
> name in the manager's mind, as well as underlining
> the applicant's
> desire to get the job. (As opposed to interviewee's
> who themselves
> haven't firmly decided if they want to work there or
> not.)
>
> Granted, if the manager knows exactly who they want
> as soon
> as they've done the interviews, a thank you note
> wouldn't change
> the balance. But if they haven't decided, the
> follow-up note could
> influence their decision. If you really want the
> job, is it that much
> of an effort?
>
> Mary
>

> At 12:16 PM 6/3/99 -0700, John Posada wrote:
> >Do you know that because you sent the note, you
> were
> >called back? Maybe you were going to be called
> anyway.
> >
> >I cannot believe that someone would go through an
> >interview that costs BOTH of you several valuable
> >hours of your day, you make a good impression, you
> >have the skill set, the experience, and the
> approach
> >methodology, and they are sitting there thinking to
> >themselves...
> >
> >"Gee, we really think he will be an asset to our
> >organization, but saying thank you and shaking our
> >hands on the way just isn't enough. We'll wait
> until
> >we get a note from him and if we don't we're just
> >going to have to settle for the looser that was in
> >after him who did send us that note."
> >

> >> Generally, the practice has resulted in me being
> >> called back for
> >> further interviews, and/or being hired. At very
> >> least, my boot-lickiing
> >
> >===
> >John Posada
> >Western Union International
> >(w) jposada -at- westernunion -dot- com
> >(p) john -at- tdandw -dot- com

>From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==
> to TECHWR-L!
> >Send commands to listserv -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu
> (e.g., SIGNOFF TECHWR-L)
> http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives.htm
> >Find rules and info at
> http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/listinfo.htm
> >Send all list-related questions or problems to

> No woman ever shot a man while he was doing the
> dishes

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=
> Send commands to listserv -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu
> (e.g., SIGNOFF TECHWR-L)
> http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives.htm
> Find rules and info at
> http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/listinfo.htm
> Send all list-related questions or problems to

===
John Posada
Western Union International
(w) jposada -at- westernunion -dot- com