Advice Sought: supervising an extreme novice

Subject: Advice Sought: supervising an extreme novice
From: Michele Marques <mmarques -at- USA -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 17:51:18 EDT

Although I have supervised people before, I have never supervised a technical
writer, and am looking for advice (other than "don't do it") for supervising
an extreme novice.

Background: I am a lone tech. writer who normally would not have the
resources to work on the project in question for at least month. A
university student (who is not studying to be a tech. writer or other
writer) is working this summer in my company as a general assistant.

Someone had the idea that I should supervise the student in writing
WinHelp (possibly HTMLHelp) files for a new product.

Does anyone have any advice for supervising this student? I am throwing her at
the mercy of the programmer to learn about the product itself. I have ForeHelp
Premiere and will be assigning her to work through the tutorial (to learn
about the basics of building help files or even what goes into help files).

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Thank you.

- Michele
mmarques -at- usa -dot- net

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000