Re: Educating Rita

Subject: Re: Educating Rita
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 11:02:51 -0700

I don't know about this...

I don't have to know how something is coded to know
that a user is going to have trouble using a GUI if,
for example, the buttons are randomly placed from
screen to screen, named wrong, or misleading. Chances
are that I don't care about HOW a GUI is coded or
what's going on in the background. I just know if I
believe a user will have a problem, then it is up to
the developer to figure out the fix, I don't care how
they do it.

> MOST tech writers should stay away from commenting
> on
> interface design because they have never developed a
> GUI and they don't know enough about what goes on
> behind
> the form/screen/window to make a worthwhile
> suggestion.
>
> MOST developers have trouble
> spelling/aligning/standardizing
> their way out of the proverbial paper bag when in
> comes
> to GUI construction.
>
> Obviously, as with anything else, there are
> exceptions to
> the rule. I don't see the need to get flustered over
> editing
> a GUI, though--if you are a tech writer and you have
> the GUI
> standard and it is not being followed, edit away. I
> routinely
> capture screens and correct spelling, draw lines to
> show
> misaligned controls, and highlight inconsistencies.
> If you
> know what you are doing (I am also a developer),
> what is the
> big deal?
>
> Graham R. Tillotson, Senior Consultant
> Whittman-Hart, Inc.
> 300 N. Elizabeth
> Chicago, IL 60607

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=
> Please search the TECHWR-L archives before
> posting!
> Send commands to listserv -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu
> (e.g., SIGNOFF TECHWR-L)
> http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives.htm
> Find TECHWR-L-related books at
> http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/books.htm
> Send all list-related questions or problems to

===
John Posada
Western Union International
(w) jposada -at- westernunion -dot- com