Re: Educating Rita

Subject: Re: Educating Rita
From: Graham Tillotson <graham -at- MEGSINET -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 15:49:48 -0500

Lets be honest about MOST tech writers and MOST developers:

MOST tech writers should stay away from commenting on
interface design because they have never developed a
GUI and they don't know enough about what goes on behind
the form/screen/window to make a worthwhile suggestion.

MOST developers have trouble spelling/aligning/standardizing
their way out of the proverbial paper bag when in comes
to GUI construction.

Obviously, as with anything else, there are exceptions to
the rule. I don't see the need to get flustered over editing
a GUI, though--if you are a tech writer and you have the GUI
standard and it is not being followed, edit away. I routinely
capture screens and correct spelling, draw lines to show
misaligned controls, and highlight inconsistencies. If you
know what you are doing (I am also a developer), what is the
big deal?

Graham R. Tillotson, Senior Consultant
Whittman-Hart, Inc.
300 N. Elizabeth