Re: HTML Help: cutting out users

Subject: Re: HTML Help: cutting out users
From: Karen Molloy <Karen_Molloy -at- I2 -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 09:59:33 -0400

Atticus Fisher <AtticusF -at- PCIWIZ -dot- COM> wrote:

>I was wondering what the conventional wisdom is regarding HTML help and
>system requirements of users' computers.
>....<snip>.....
>I'm worried that by choosing to use RoboHTML I will cut out a considerable
>swath of bankers who are still using Win 3.1 and/or don't have browsers
installed.
>I guess I might be answering my own question here by saying that I should stick
>with RoboHelp, but I thought some of you folks might have some insight on the
>limitations of HTML help.

This falls in the category of assessing your users needs and requirements. It's
parallel to determining whether you should deliver information in Help, pdf, or
printed form. You certainlydo need to take into account users' system
requirements among other things. There's no reason to follow a particular
technology trend if it doesn't suit the needs of your users.

At any rate, in RoboHelp, you can produce WinHelp and WebHelp from the same
source, if you find later that you do need to go the HTML route with your
WinHelp project.

>Unfortunately, Blue Sky was of no great assistance, as they no longer
>provide phone support for our version of RoboHelp (5.0) and sales person was
>unreachable.

Blue Sky develops authoring tools. They can't determine your users' needs.

Karen Molloy
i2 Technologies
karen_molloy -at- i2 -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=