Re: Linux and techwhirlers

Subject: Re: Linux and techwhirlers
From: Dee-Ann LeBlanc <dee -at- RENAISSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 12:43:38 -0700

At 11:42 AM 4/21/99 , you wrote:

Is anybody using Linux as their work platform?
Or has everybody got it installed on an alternate
partition for spare-time tinkering, only?

I work a lot with Linux for a variety of reasons, but I don't tend to do my
work in Linux. Mostly because my Linux box is a test machine and I can't
count of it being stable since I'm always fussing with it.

Is there a sufficiently-capable array of tools, yet?

There is an office suite available for Linux called StarOffice. There are
both personal and commercial versions. For more information, check out
http://www.all-linux.com/products/00701.html.

How about a solid, trustable illustration app under
Linux?

I don't do a lot of graphics work, so while I can say that there are many,
graphics programs out there for Linux, I can't claim to have an educated
feel for which are the best. Sounds like a question for a Linux forum. I've
snipped out the questions I know even less about. :)

For that matter, does anybody have anything
enlightening to say about flavors of Linux? I'm
interested from the perspective of bread'n'butter
working tools. I realize Linux still hasn't arrived
for the masses, but has it achieved a level that
could interest a capable computer professional
who is not afraid to get his/her fingers dirty, but
who demands reliability and capability in the system
and the tools?

Red Hat and Caldera are two of the biggest players. They both offer
technical support and good installation programs. Whether Linux is right
for you really depends on what you want and need from it.

Dee-Ann LeBlanc
http://www.renaissoft.com/dee/write/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=