Re: engineers

Subject: Re: engineers
From: Denise Fritch <dfritch -at- INTELLICORP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 11:23:10 -0700

Morning John,

You wrote:
> The main point in this rambling is that we work as a team in the real
> world. As a tech writer, you have a duty to study and understand the
> product that you are documenting.

That is half the situation, yes. However, you missed mentioning that the
SMEs (in what ever industry) also have a responsibility. They need to be
able to communicate. That requires learning too.

The company where I work creates business modeling software. That means our
users are senior managers who are attempting to identify the structure of
their business, then associate that structure with SAP's R/3 System during
the reengineering of their business.

Some months back, a new menu item appeared in the build of the developing
software release -- Pure Container. There were no specifications, no
discussions, no information available about this new menu item. So, I began
asking various developers. The senior developer's comment was, "it is sort
of hard to explain". It was several developers later before I was able to
take all the pieces from each conversation to develop this concept -- for
this was a concept used to isolate a branch of a model, not coding -- enough
to identify when and why a user would select this new menu option.

Of course "Pure Container" disappeared from the menu a few weeks later. But
that is another story.

Best,

Denise L. Fritch

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=