Re: How Do You NOT Mention Salary First?

Subject: Re: How Do You NOT Mention Salary First?
From: Kevin McLauchlan <KMcLauchlan -at- CHRYSALIS-ITS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 15:18:02 -0400

John Sheridan-Smith suggested:

I think the key to successful salary acquisition is realising that,
as an
employee (of whatever kind and in whatever area), you are only
"worth" what
someone will pay you. A writer has no intrinsic value but as many
relative
values as there are potential employers.

Interview salary discussions are games of cat and mouse. On some
occasions
you will win and talk up your salary or price yourself into a job
(whichever
you aim for) ; on others you will lose and fail to get the job.

[snip]

With two variables, one binary (job, yes/no) and one
continuous over a range (salary, more/less), we get four
nominal outcome spaces, the two you mention plus
two others. However, two of them are functionally
equivalent, so we effectively have three kinds of
outcome, unless you want to separate the two "No"
outcomes along self-esteem lines...

Possible Negotiation Outcomes

S More | |
a | Oh, |Woohoo!
l | crap! |
a |--------+---------
r | |
y Less | Oh, |Oh oh!
| crap! |Now what?
|________|_________
No Yes
Employed

Disclaimer 1
The above superb graphic best viewed in a mono-
spaced font... although the [Del] key works almost
as well.
Disclaimer 2
I couldn't think of a good ascii way to depict a
discrete axis and a continuous axis.
Disclaimer 3
I can't believe you read this far. It's not even Friday,
yet, except maybe in Australia.
Disclaimer 4
Low blood sugar. Please send Leonidas chocolate
and pralines to this address.

Kevin McLauchlan
kmclauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com (aka kevinmcl -at- netrover -dot- com)
Journeyman techy writer, duffer skydiver, full-time unrepentent chocoholic

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=