Re: Finding tech comm books on the shelves (was Final Note: Wiley. . .)

Subject: Re: Finding tech comm books on the shelves (was Final Note: Wiley. . .)
From: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 11:50:04 -0700

This is a local bookstore, but it specializes in technical books. I'm
pretty sure they would mail books to you. Here's the URL for San Diego
Technical Books:

http://192.215.22.68/scripts/index.idc?cid=-165473

Marilynne

At 04:00 PM 4/14/99 , Jill Burgchardt wrote:
>Karen Schriver noted:
>
> bookstores being so darn conservative never warmed up to the idea of a
> shelf devoted to technical communication
>
>and
> that novices to our field and even the person with just a passing
> interest in our field will undoubtedly miss many good
> books they would otherwise buy
>
>When I buy a book, I like to pick it up in my hands, scan through it, and
check
>out the index. I also like to compare a book side by side with its
competitors.
>It bugs me that I have little opportunity to browse through tech comm books.
>Even if I get a list of books I want to compare, local stores and the library
>frequently don't stock them. (Only those who know they exist ask for them.)
>
>Has anyone successfully campaigned their local bookstores to devote a shelf to
>technical communication? If so, what tactic did you use to persuade them? I've
>tried without success. In fact, I've taken in the tech writing book list so
>they'd have an idea of what should go on the list. I know I'm not the only
tech
>writer in this town to try that either, because I got the idea from someone
>else. (I thought they might be persuaded by multiple requests.)
>
>The upshot is that I usually buy books sight unseen based on recommendations
>from this list. What other solutions have people found for the lack of
browsing
>access for books in our field?
>
>My daughter attended a singing competition Saturday. Two music stores had
>booths
>there selling sheet music. Although I've seen software vendors at STC
>conferences, I've never seen book vendors (I've only been to regional, not
>national). Has anyone tried putting together a book fair through their local
>STC?
>
>Anyone have other ideas?
>

>Jill Burgchardt
>jburgchardt -at- pestilence -dot- itc -dot- nrcs -dot- usda -dot- gov
>
>From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

Marilynne Smith marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com
Sr. Technical Writer (619) 651-6664
QUALCOMM AE-203B
"We'll have the whole world talking"

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=