Re: Size of Manuals

Subject: Re: Size of Manuals
From: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 13:39:53 -0700

I've always thought computer manuals were this size because you could rest
them between the keyboard and your tummy, and thus manage to read them in a
cluttered environment.

Can't do that with a CD. <smile>

Marilynne

At 01:21 PM 4/13/99 , Sharon Burton-Hardin wrote:
>Actually, the reason why software manuals, at least, are 7x9 is even simpler
>than usability. The standard packaging box is 8x10. The manual fits in the
>box.
>
>I always ask my students why these manuals are this size and I get all sorts
>of fun responses. The truth? It fits in the standard box.
>
>sharon
>
>Sharon Burton-Hardin
>President of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
>www.iestc.org
>Anthrobytes Consulting
>Home of RoboNEWS(tm), the unofficial RoboHELP newsletter
>www.anthrobytes.com
>Check out www.WinHelp.net!
>See www.sharonburton.com!

Marilynne Smith marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com
Sr. Technical Writer (619) 651-6664
QUALCOMM AE-203B
"We'll have the whole world talking"

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=