Re: How Do You NOT Mention Salary First?

Subject: Re: How Do You NOT Mention Salary First?
From: Michael Bryans <michaelb -at- HCL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 08:59:09 -0500

Eric L. Dunn wrote:
> I take exception to this however. To me this is the one area where it is
> cut and dry. What I made during previous employment is none of their
> business. What I am worth to one employer (whether in the same market or
> not, or the same position or not) is absolutely none of their
> business. Why should your earning potential be limited by previous under
> payment? Why should you have to justify being overpaid at a nother
position or
> be looked at suspisciusly if you're interviewing for a lower paid
position? Why
> should the company get a free insight into the HR policies of their
> competitors?

I don't see how this is cut and dry. I agree with statements after the first
sentence. These seem to reinforce that it is _not_ a cut and dry issue.
IMHO, queries about a candidate's salary at an early stage seems
unnecessarily awkward and might wind up undermining the candidate's
position. At a later stage in the interview process, it seems a fair
question.

Market forces play a role too. If the position is tough to fill because of
high demand (e.g., a quality senior technical writer) and low supply, then
the prospective employer will pay as much as they can afford provided they
are convinced of the writer's value. It depends on the employer (and the
writer). For a variety of (dubious) reasons, a company might be keen to
count their pennies, low-ball the candidate, or try to fill a senior
position with a junior writer. It is teeter-totter courtship sometimes.

It also depends on the position. Does the position require: just someone
with a pulse, a junior-intermediate writer, a senior writer, a technical
communicator with management experience, or are we talking a virtual guru? I
think Julie is a bit lost as to the market, and her value. This is common if
one is starting out or in the early career stages...many people undervalue
themselves. In a hot market for writers, some over-value themselves.
Whatever. A good experienced writer should know their value and what the
market will bear. Such a writer is prepared for the difficult questions.

I don't agree with Eric's last statement. Most HR policies (affecting
salary/benefits) are not like state or military secrets (or shouldn't be).
Companies want to be competitive and above board with their perks and
benefits. I do not see what dirty laundry might lurk there. If a rival HR
department finds out what another competitor offers...well...so what. Perks
and benefits, along with salary policies, are just part of the
equation/courtship. Julie, if 15% improvement makes you happy, then power to
you. If your poker instincts tell you not to fold, then stay in the game or
bet higher.

:) Cheers,
Michael Bryans

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=