Re: Contracting Experiences LONG RESPONSE

Subject: Re: Contracting Experiences LONG RESPONSE
From: Michael Bryans <michaelb -at- HCL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:05:33 -0500

Hi Rebecca, you're behind the asterisks, I'm behind the ## below:

** Well, we all specialize, whether intentionally or not -- career Oracle
DBAs tend to know the heck out of that to the exclusion of other things, car
mechanics know cars to the exclusion of other things... It's part of
focusing a career, I guess, that we make good decisions and avoid the dead
ends and soon-obsolete technologies.

## True. True. After years, I suddenly realized my writing experience was
dominated by software documentation (THUD...bricks falling into place...the
penny drooping, etc.). I didn't notice because I started out in ISO 9000
documentation and that is sure to dull the senses. However, a lot of
software development I've seen could use some procedures (and policies), not
to mention Quality Management (...or is that a Dilbert oxymoron?). Sometimes
a career comes into focus as part of some personal master plan but usually,
if you're lucky, things fall into place on their own. To outsiders, you look
focused on reality (...appearances can be deceiving). You can only know good
decisions after suffering bad ones. As for technologies, don't they all
become obsolete sometime or at least the foundation for some other
avant-garde techno-revolution?

<snip>

** Well, you're right of course -- you limit yourself on BOTH ends of the
spectrum, by having very limited technical exposure at all (I've met tech
writers writing software manuals who weren't even comfortable with their
PCs), and by having such specialized technical exposure that it can't convey
to other projects (...those who know the heck out of a specialized
application, for example, used by two people in the entire free world).

## Hmmmm. I guess it's possible to be over specialized...as is the case with
intense navel-gazing. Clearly, one aims for some sort of balance.
Scary...your point about writers estranged from their PC. I've seen this too
(we're talking veteran senior writers, in some cases) but worse still are
those who pretend (talk the talk) they're PC and technology proficient but
wind up producing mediocre documentation (you know...the stuff you have to
rewrite). No matter what technical exposure I get, I'm regularly humbled by
the sheer volume of things I've yet to experience or understand.

** This, I guess, is the crux of what I'm getting at. That is true for most
of the tech writers I have interviewed in the last few years, as well --
most of them see their advancement as coming from moving into management,
not by gaining more technical expertise. Having been an Oracle DBA, a <very
bewildered> UNIX system administrator, and a bunch of other non-tech-writing
things in my life, I'm not 100% committed to limiting myself to JUST
developing the skill set surrounding tech writing

< wee snip>

## Right on! Your point is well taken. Gaining maximum technical expertise
is critical. However, is it not natural for some to look forward to a
management role? Some writers fit into this niche very well and might
concentrate on leadership/management skills instead of sharpening their
technical prowess. Maybe you will offer rebuttal on this...isn't there a
jack of all trades, master of none risk? What percentage would you attribute
to developing tech writing skill sets? IMHO, there is a lot to learn in
technical communications...just like all of technology.

** I'm like a darned cat, I guess -- when I'm with programmers, I want to be
a tech writer. When I feel restricted to just tech writing, suddenly I want
to be a programmer. Always on the wrong side of the door.... What I'm
looking for, then, is the perfect middle ground. To be a VERY technical
technical writer. For now. :)

## Ahhhh. This is the real crux. I can sometimes identify with this dilemma.
The lure of subject matter expertise (the SME Dark Side?). I'm scared that
becoming too much an techno-SME means giving up plain English, common
writing sense, and effective communications (may the Force be with you).

** And so the short answer seems to be this: If the goal is to focus on
being a very good technical writer, and that's the area where you're
"hunkering in" with your career, then the frustrations aren't quite the
same, maybe, as what I'm experiencing.

## I'm curious about your frustrations. Technicity. Quality technical
writing. Middle ground...balance. Please elaborate off-line.

** Massive disclaimer: I have ABSOLUTELY no belief that it's a bad decision
to be the best tech writer possible. I'm always fidgetty like this. Just
ask my father... :)

## I have to work on a disclaimer. How about DON'T PANIC? (Any Douglas Adams
fans out there?) I'm getting jumpy too...time for another cuppa
coffee...whoa. Thanks Rebeca!

:) Cheers,
Mikey

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=