Re: Writing for small businesses

Subject: Re: Writing for small businesses
From: "Cheryl L. Higgins" <cwhitnah -at- NETMEG -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 07:02:53 -0500

Megan:

Promotional material, company employee manuals, job descriptions (official
for the files), if non-profit, grant proposals. Medical researchers write
papers and must comply with certain formats, such as submitting "abstracts"
prior to being accepted as a "paper"; Architects write 400 page "specs";
attorneys write briefs and Real Estate Attorneys need title searches done in
the Town Hall on laptops by searchers who can do 1-3 a day at a hundred or
two a pop. Printing presses usually will hire freelancers to do their
proofreading - now there's a thought - you need to use conventional
guidelines as to what to proof read, but that's easily enough come-by -
usually its check for consistent format and typos and the work is gotten by
calling the head copyeditor and they all send out "tests" easily passed if
you know the lingo and give them exactly what they want.

You can contact professional societies - the AIA for Archetects, a local
engineering firm, call them up and ask them, directly, honestly, what is
their writing needs? Many think they can do this for themselves, BTW, and
wont' pay outside. When the Co. is getting larger, they appreciate an
outside service. There are so many small software companies starting up -
how about offering to create little "cheat sheets" for their clients, just
to start? Even take it to Minit Print and have it printed onto stock, a
little color, laminated for coffee-protection, and bring the one copy of it
back in when you're done and they'll feel you have something to offer, if
you can get them to give you a "try" with one of those little 'cheat cards'.
A software product needs to have a "product Library" of documentation -
on-screen help, user manauals, technical manuals, set up manuals, cheat
sheets, white pages, all updated with every release, and most the time with
new start up cos the programmers are writing them - (have you ever read what
a programmer thinks an end-user can do??). I would call, alot. all of my
work has come from a phone call, to presses and software cos, to non-profit,
etc. People say "Well, yeah" to a "real" voice on the phone where they
might lay a letter aside and open another piece of mail, when it comes to
small businesses. Personally, I like mid-large businesses for freelance
work. They are beginning to structure themselves and need to document it.
THey are and will be in business for a while. They need to conventionalize
their documentation and can no longer get away with vague in-house projects.
They need writing and production of the documents, orgainization. Also,
many want a newsletter of their product on the web. Many have the site, and
might not need you to be HTML proficient, just write the stuff. Larger
places might conventionally "sub" their work out to "sub contractors" -
that's the phrase you might use in a phone call to query if they need work -
"Hi, I'd like to find out who your manager would be to talk to about
possibly doing some sub contract technical (marketing; legal; spec, etc.)
writing for your company" or "I'k like to find out if you use sub
contractors for your product documentation " etc.

Hope that helps you find the right gear...

Cheryl L. Higgins