Writing for small businesses

Subject: Writing for small businesses
From: "Megan E. Rock" <megan -dot- rock -at- FANUCROBOTICS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 09:50:05 -0500

Hi folks. I'm investigating opportunities to work part-time from home
(evenings and weekends) doing professional writing and designing web sites
for small businesses or organizations who don't need or can't afford to have
a fulltime writer or web designer on staff.

I have worked for about two years as a technical writer, focusing on online
documentation. My primary responsibilities have involved manipulating
documentation that is provided to me by developers or other writers.

That said, I don't have much technical or public relations writing
experience. I think that I am a good writer and have strong technical
writing skills, but I haven't had the chance to develop them in the real
world.

What specific types of written publications do small businesses and
organizations need? I have thought of things like advertisements, flyers,
brochures, letters to customers, and the like. What am I missing?

Also, what is the best way for me to practice producing these kinds of
documents? I have thought of handling it like we handled it in school:
create these kinds of documents for an imaginary company so I get some
practice and have something for a portfolio. Is this a good way to start?
Can you recommend any books or web sites that discuss the documentation
needs of small businesses?

Please reply off the list. I will post a summary to the list (or send
personal e-mail) if enough people are interested.

Thanks!

Megan E. Rock
Electronic Documentation
(248) 377-7948
megan -dot- rock -at- fanucrobotics -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=