Re: 256 colours

Subject: Re: 256 colours
From: Arlen P Walker <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 14:14:00 -0600

In Windows, one can save a bitmap to 256-colours (which, I'm pretty
sure, is the same as 8-bit). Is there anywhere--within Windows or on
the Net--where one can see the 256 colour palette that Windows uses?
I'm trying to solve an irritating and re-occurring screenshot issue.
Thanks. DB.

Yes 256 colors = 8-bit. But.....

The palette can be quite different for every graphic, except for the fact
that Windows reserves at least 15, and it think it's more like 45 of the
color slots in the palette for its own use. This problem crops up
frequently in web graphics, where the poor browser gets caught in between
the OS and and several downloaded graphics, trying to balance requests for
contradictory palettes all being shown at the same time.

You're probably safer if you reduce the colors in the graphic down below
215, if that's possible with the software you're using.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=