Re: Interviewing

Subject: Re: Interviewing
From: Charlotte A Archer <charlotte -dot- a -dot- archer -at- GTE -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 00:50:46 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: David Castro <techwrtr -at- CRL -dot- COM>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU <TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Wednesday, January 13, 1999 12:15 PM
Subject: Interviewing

>What sorts of questions do *you* ask when interviewing?
>
>-David Castro
> techwrtr -at- crl -dot- com
>

>From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

Hmmm...

Well, again, I'm just getting involved in this field so these aren't
specific to tech writer positions, but perhaps folks can get a feel for
where I'm going and that may be helpful.

In addition to asking about general benefits I tend to ask questions which
give me a feel for how the office operates and what the philosophies and
environment are going to be like. Here are some that I asked in my last
interview (just as an FYI, it was a corporate travel consultant's position
and I got the job):
1. Do you have a corporate motto or philosophy? If so, what is it?
2. How often are your employee reviews? What is the process?
3. How do you provide feedback on individual performance between reviews?
4. Do you have an employee recommendation or feedback process? How does
it work?
5. How do you view the importance of teamwork?
6. Do you have an incentive program? On what performance areas is it
based? (while this sounds like a money question, it's actually to determine
whether the company supports teamwork over individual competition and
whether they weight quantity over quality.)

If the interview obviously went well and the company feels like it would be
open to it,or if it is a second interview and especially if they have shown
me around the office a bit, I ask if it might be OK to observe one of the
people doing the job that I would be doing for a bit. This was very helpful
in my last interview and gave me an idea of what really went on "on the
floor".

regards,
Charlotte A. Archer

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=