Re: Tech Writing 101 - How to tie a shoe

Subject: Re: Tech Writing 101 - How to tie a shoe
From: Charlotte A Archer <charlotte -dot- a -dot- archer -at- GTE -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 19:41:57 -0500

Lisa Hodge <techpubs -at- MAILCITY -dot- COM> wrote
<< However, as a hiring manager, I sometimes feel as though I have no proof
that the candidate sitting before me actually authored the material.
Perhaps they authored it as part of a team or maybe they helped with the
design layout. I hired a guy once who, after a lengthy discussion about his
samples, convinced me that they were true reflections of his work. It
didn't take long for me to figure out that he didn't know a noun from a
verb. As we were discussing his shortcomings a few weeks later, he admitted
that his previous position as a tech writer had been overstated, and that he
was really a desktop publishing expert.

For the record, my company does not do writing tests as part of the
interviewing process, but I'm working to change that!>>

Looking at it from another perspective, since I'm new to the field I would
appreciate a company which asked me to take a writing test as part of the
interview process. It would give me an opportunity to demonstrate my
ability, which is not necessarily well reflected by my job experience.

I do, however, see the viewpoint of those who have lengthy resumes and
multiple writing samples feeling that they should be past this point in
their careers.

Regards,
Charlotte A. Archer

>Lisa