Re: Canadian Spelling

Subject: Re: Canadian Spelling
From: Crawford Kilian <ckilian -at- HUBCAP -dot- MLNET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 17:43:09 GMT

Peter Taylor,sector_five -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM,Internet writes:
When I was in University, we were required to use CP (Canadian Press)
style which was the U.S. spellings. This has changed recently and all
the Canadian newspapers are back to "colour" "honour" etc.
CK:
CP style's justification, as I recall, was to use the shorter of any two
acceptable spellings (hence color over colour), but to stick with British
spelling when it made no difference in word length (defence vs. US defense,
grey vs. US gray).

Canadians *tend* to prefer certain terms over the equivalent Americanisms:
shareholders vs. US stockholders, railways vs US railroads, storey/story vs.
US floor. But most of us don't think often about which term (or spelling) we
choose. That's one of the skookum things about your northern tillicums. :-)

Crawford Kilian
Capilano College
North Vancouver BC Canada
ckilian -at- hubcap -dot- mlnet -dot- com
<http://www.capcollege.bc.ca/magic/cmns/crofpers.html>
Fiction Writer's Page:
<http://www.capcollege.bc.ca/magic/cmns/fwp.html>

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=