Re: Canadian Spelling

Subject: Re: Canadian Spelling
From: "Meek, DavidX L" <davidx -dot- l -dot- meek -at- INTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:09:38 -0800

Pete:

In addition to spelling, do Canadians generally follow British usage as
well? I noticed you wrote "... in University ..." Britons would say
something like "in hospital," whereas Americans would say, "in *the*
hospital."

I think the terms British English, American English, etc., are extremely
useful, despite the ocassional exceptions. Unlike in mathematics, the rules
of a language are not necessarily disproven by a single exception. (In
fact, English has quite a number of such exceptions, but the general rules
remain.) If I say, "British English," people know what I'm talking about.
If I write "colour" in an American text, my editor will not only strike out
the "u," but he'll ask me why I used the British spelling.

Just my 2.7 pre-tax cents.

"IT happens"
(Any statements made above are mine, and mine alone.)