Re: Interview questions (weakness question)

Subject: Re: Interview questions (weakness question)
From: Crawford Kilian <ckilian -at- HUBCAP -dot- MLNET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 16:23:57 GMT

As a sometime employer, I've found a very useful question (which interviewees
can also use) that I bring in after about a third of the time I've allocated:

"Let me ask you a question that may seem a little odd, but I've found it very
helpful. How do you think this interview is going?"

I have seen applicants visibly relax when they heard it, because it meant the
role-playing was over; they could talk more openly and frankly. It also means
I can now raise my worries without signalling *This Interview is Now Over.*
The applicant can then address those worries, and talk about his or her own
worries, in a constructive manner.

Usually people say they think the interview's going well (well, I *am* a good
interviewer :-) ), but the atmosphere of the interview changes very much for
the better.

Crawford Kilian
Communications Department, Capilano College
2055 Purcell Way, North Vancouver BC V7J 3H5
ckilian -at- hubcap -dot- mlnet -dot- com
<http://www.capcollege.bc.ca/magic/cmns/crofpers.html>
Fiction Writer's Page:
<http://www.capcollege.bc.ca/magic/cmns/fwp.html>

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=