Unwelcome/Improper Interview Questions

Subject: Unwelcome/Improper Interview Questions
From: "Marilyn Baldwin (mlbb -at- capgroup -dot- com)" <Marilyn_Baldwin -at- CAPGROUP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:26:52 -0800

Tracey Moore noted:
>> We've discussed the pros and cons of the "outside interests"
>> interview question, among others. I've seen the response that
>> some questions are not appropriate for an interview.

My sense, having worked as a tech writer only for large corporations, is
that HR does all it can up front to avoid any kind of potential litigation.
The more the interview focuses ONLY on job-related skills and abilities,
the less likely the candidate is to claim that there was some bias against
him or her because of where s/he attended school, goes to church (or
doesn't), how much s/he weighs, what ethnic pride movement s/he may
participate in or political party s/he may support, etc. Imagine the
perhaps awkward pause when a friendly interviewer asks, "Well, John/Jane,
what do you like to do when you're NOT working?" if the answer is "I'm a
neighborhood coordinator for AWACAW - Arm Women and Children with Automatic
Weapons" or "I'm very active in all sorts of animal rights organizations
and... say, that's not a leather belt you have on, is it?" or "Well, my
whole family has been nudists for decades and we like to get out to the
sunpark whenever we can." How exactly would the interview proceed and get
back to the issue at hand: the job? That's why I would guess that most
enlightened (or paranoid) companies steer clear of direct questions like
this. Astute interviewers usually have fairly decent people skills, good
antenna for bafflegab and BS, and the ability to pick up on things that
could be important.
And Tracey asked:
>> ...if someone asks you a question you'd rather not answer,
>> how do you reply without offending the interviewer, appearing
>> hostile or looking as if you're hiding something?

My own preference would be to smile in a friendly way (indicating your wish
to be cooperative), but to shake your head a bit and to say, "Frankly, I
can't quite see how this relates to my ability to do the job. Is there
some connection?" If the interviewer says, "No, I'm just trying to get a
sense of you as a total person," you could continue to smile and say,
"Well, I guarantee that here at work I'll be totally committed to doing the
best job I can." If the interviewer persists, I guess I'd try to inject a
small amount of humor but still get my concerns across, perhaps by turning
it around a bit - e.g., "I'm finding this a little awkward. Is there some
potential personnel problem related to this job, like a team member who
hates bad tennis players, or something I should know about?"

If the question DOES somehow relate to the job, or the issue of employment
- even if you wish it hadn't come up - I think your best bet is to answer
as forthrightly as possible. Perhaps the interviewer is curious why you,
who are not a contractor, seem to have stayed at several jobs in a row for
only a few months each a few years ago. It's understandable that there
might be a worry that you're flaky, or get dissatisfied too quickly, or
buckle under pressure, or whatever. If you say, simply, "I was going
through a divorce at that time, and frankly was doing rather poorly. I got
some very helpful counseling and pulled things together. As you see, my
next job lasted two years and only ended when the company was bought out
and headquarters relocated. I received two promotions at that job and
created the company intranet there..." - thus steering things back to your
skills.

I really like the comments of those who've said they basically try to live
the Golden Rule, including in interview situations. It can be a silly mind
game, but most good companies don't have the time or the inclination for
that. Usually, as several posters have pointed out, it's a chance for both
parties to use the piece of paper (resume) as a jumping-off point to deeper
and broader discussion. It's the mutual opportunity to find out - by
intelligent questioning, well-honed intuition, etc. - whether you might be
a good fit here at this particular place, in this particular job. It
should always be a learning experience on your part - even if all you learn
is that you would NEVER want to work there.

HTH.

Marilyn Baldwin
(mlbb -at- capgroup -dot- com)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=